The right material in the right place
Tailor Welded Blanks are made from individual steel sheets of different thickness, strength and coating which are joined together by laser welding. This manufacturing process allows for flexible part design and ensures the right material is used in the right place. Thicker or higher-strength material can be used in highly stressed areas while thinner sheets or deep drawing grades can be used in others. Expensive materials are only used where they are needed.
This targeted approach has benefits including:
By using expensive materials only where necessary, parts can be produced at a reduced cost.
By utilizing the appropriate material in the appropriate area, part weight can be reduced.
Higher strength material can be used in highly stressed areas, increasing structural and crash performance.
Advantages of tailored products
Along with cost reduction, weight reduction, and increased performance there are many advantages to using tailor welded blanks.
- Meet CAFE targets. A 25% vehicle weight reduction results in 20% reduction in fuel consumption.
- Optimized crash performance through the use of high-strength materials.
- Optimized material utilization through efficient nesting.
- Lower capital costs for tooling and assembly lines through part number reduction.
- Reduced product design costs due to part consolidation.
- Elimination of overlapping joints improves corrosion behavior.