Customized steel solutions
Tailored products allow the designer and engineer to consolidate steel parts into a single stamping with various material combinations
throughout the blank, tube or coil. The material combinations can be a variation in thickness, coatings and material strength. The
result is a lower weight and lower cost part with improved forming behavior and stack-up tolerances, in addition to enhanced product
features such as; durability, stiffness, strength and crash performance.
Another significant benefit of tailored products is improved coil nesting where the same materials can be welded together to improve
material utilization of the individual components.
TWB has grown over the years with products that meet or exceed the demands of the automotive industry. Our product lines include,
tailor welded blanks, engineered blanks (curvilinear or 2D), tailor welded orbitals (tubes), tailor welded coils, patchwork blanks
and FlexStep weld seam off-set capability.
Advantages at a glance
- Weight reduction
- Cost reduction
- Part consolidation
- Lower capital cost – having only one part to stamp means only one die set is needed
- Improved crash performance through the use of tailor welded products
- Elimination of overlapping joints improves corrosion behavior
- Optimized nesting and optimum material usage
- Elimination of sealing compound offers advantages in recycling
- Improved forming behavior